Blogging is a great way to increase visibility of your brand and to further your SEO success. However, writing a good blog post is a very different skill to creating a report, news item or briefing. Here are some tips that will help your blog to stand out from the crowd:
- Draw readers in with your headline – users should see your headline and immediately understand that your blog post offers them something, whether that’s important tips and tricks, a free download or how to improve the way they operate.
- Make your first sentence the most important – readers will use that sentence to decide whether your blog is worthy of their time. Make it clear what your post is about, and what it will give them if they carry on reading.
- Consider bullet points – bullet points break up a blog post and help the reader feel that they can tackle the text.
- Use sub-headings – like bullet points, sub-headings break up a page and make it feel more manageable to the reader. Well crafted sub-headings also help your users to navigate a page without feeling lost.
- Choose a great image – don’t just put a picture on the page because you think it should have one. Think about what the image is for and what you want it to do. If you’re trying to get a point across in your blog post, let your imagery do some of this for you.
- Be authentic – don’t be someone you’re not or stuff your text with keywords so that it becomes impossible to follow. Make sure your blog posts convey your brand’s values and usual tone of voice. That way, users will trust it and are more likely to return, share and buy.